Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

table dreams and rescued chairs...

In August I blogged here about an empty spot in my sunroom that needed a small table.  In my mind's eye I had the exact table picked out.  I don't know where I'd seen it before, but I had the scalloped edges and twisty legs all dreamed up...all that was left was to actually locate it.  So, the space remained empty and an amount of $100 was put aside that I was allowing myself to spend on it.  After many repeated trips to all my local "Thrifty spots", I finally discovered THE table...the EXACT one that was in my mind. 
Funny thing is, it was owned by a friend of mine, Vern, who hosts several large Barn Sales a year...
and apparently she had been trying to sell it for quite some time. 
{Duh, probably saw it in her barn and overlooked it at a time I wasn't looking for it!} Vern had given her a great paint finish-which was even MORE appealing to me.  Better yet, by the time I found her, she was marked down to $35 dollars! 
So here she is, in my sunroom on the day I brought her home.

Her scalloped edges were exactly as I "remembered" her....

I added a set of plank-bottom chairs I've had for about 20 years.  I've never really loved them, but I already owned them so I wasn't about to purchase more.  Unfortunately, they made the table look dingy and lifeless.

...So, they got a paint job, too...

Paired with a chandelier, I think they look alot better...although they are still awaiting a coat of glaze that will darken and age them just a bit. 
For the price of about $50 my space is filled and it works.
Another recent thrifty purchase is this chair...
she's a little shabby...but sturdy, and with a paint job I love...

So, for $5 and the addition of a chairpad I bought years ago for about $2 at Goodwill...

...it was the perfect piece to accompany this...

2 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!!! CHARMING!!!! COZY CHIC!!!!
    I so admire your artistic spell you cast on furniture (and wish I had just a tenth of that ability!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a thrift girl after my own heart! Love your table and chairs and that white side chair is pushing me to paint one that I have that is very similar.

    ReplyDelete