Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Don't mock me...

My friends say I am thrify or maybe downright pathetic.  But, in my heart of hearts I don't really think that I am...my wallet would agree with my friends, but my taste would beg to differ.  I am thrify because I must be, and along the way I have learned to enjoy the hunt of a good deal.  And, my tastes have changed in the process.  No longer do I desire designer everything...I've found that I actually really LOVE to find "one of a kind" treasures.  My heart pounds when I pass a flea market or a country auction...I have no doubt that there are bargains standing by just waiting to be found by me!

I happened to be blessed to live in Lancaster County, PA where there are flea markets, auctions and yard sales a-plenty on any given summer weekend.  And during the dreary months of winter, there are at least a handful of other options to be had by thrifty shoppers like me. 

I'm not exactly sure what direction this blog will evolve into, but the underlying tone will be that it's O-KAY to be thrifty if you're living on a budget.  (You might even find it's ok to be thrifty if you're blessed to NOT be living on a budget, but I doubt you will find that advice here...just saying.)  Not only is it ok to be thrifty, I think you can be thrifty while still looking like you have more than two dimes to rub together.  Thrifty does not equal frumpy, cheap or dirty.  It just means you are careful with your money and actually enjoy the hunt of a bargain.  I like the mall and Boutiques as much as any other woman...but as a general rule, I don't pull my wallet out for just any full-price item - it has to earn the right to come live with me.

That reminds me of my favorite part of today...it goes like this: 

I went to Target this afternoon
(I had a coupon for $5 off a Swiffer Wet Jet AND my body was craving a popcorn combo)...
*WetJet, popcorn combo, bonus $.99 cute pink containers* 

...as I was walking through the front doors I heard a little girl and her mom walking in behind me.  I only vaguely paid attention to what the little girl was saying, but I got the feeling she was working on her mother's last nerve.  I'm pretty sure I was right, because as they whizzed by me in their red cart, the little girl asked her mom, "What am I getting, mommy?  Huh?  What am I getting???"  Without missing a beat, her mom shot back, "You're lucky if you get a ride home." 

3 comments:

  1. Boy do I remember all those times your dad and I had you and your sister in tow for yet ANOTHER one of those wonderful Lancaster County auctions and you swore, "When I grow up, I will NEVER have to go to another auction!" Well, well, well! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all! Love that you love them now! The first warm NON-SNOWY day, let's plan on one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I actually almost wrote that I had sworn them off, mom...I couldn't count how many auctions we drug Barbie along to in our station wagon! We secretly resented your dragging us along!!! Thanks for passing on the passion...I'll keep it going to the next generation - you should get a certain satisfaction out of their resentment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be the last to mock you, as I know you have an unusual ability to find beautiful vintage items and disply them as if they were in a charming little boutique in some small town. Oh...wait...you DID do that. And with brilliance. I just got done using my Swiffer Wet Jet and thought about how never in my adult life have I mopped the floor twice in just a little over a week. Usually it went, well....(uncomfortable throat clearing)umm, months between moppings. But with this little gem, my floors actually can occassionally be eaten off of. And trust me, they are.

    Love this new blog AND your music. I'm singing along. You can thank the good Lord you can't hear THAT.

    ReplyDelete