Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Thrifty WetJet refill alternatives...

Mind you, I just bought my WetJet yesterday, and as much as I enjoyed trying it out, I did not go so crazy that the solution is empty...YET.  But, since they supply you with a tiny little bottle of solution and only two measly cleaning pads, I thought I'd do a little Google search to find out what kind of cheaper alternatives I might find when the time comes to refill.  (I noticed that a box of 12 pads was just under $7 at Target and the solution is just under $5 for less than 2L)

You find out all sorts of things when you do a Google search.  For instance:

*Apparently some would argue that the Wet Jet cleaning solution is toxic to small animals- even resulting in death (I know this because I just read a whole excerpt someone wrote on a forum which included a toxicology report)
*Also, some people are SO thrifty that they would actually KEEP the empty solution bottles and refill them with a homemade solution.  (Truth be told, my mind was already heading there...til I read the "how-to" below)
*In order to save and reuse the solution bottle you have to do minor surgery and actually use POWER tools:
Here's what a few WetJet thrifters had to say HERE:

  • "When using a Swiffer Wet Jet, the replacement bottles can get pretty expensive. I discovered that you can take the cap off the bottle (I used a strap wrench which you can find in the tool department at Sears...)"

  • "I cut the neck off another plastic bottle, cut a hole in the bottom of the swiffer bottle and hot glued the other neck onto it. Now I just unscrew the cap and I buy the 409 copy cat cleaner at the dollar store.."

  • "I did the taking off of the cap but found it soon started to leak. I drilled a half-inch hole in the top, pour my solution in with a funnel and put a cork in it. I've been using the same Swiffer bottle for over a year."

  • "I have had success refilling the bottle by using the turkey injector."  Not sure I want to spend Thanksgiving at THAT house! 

*I found some recipes I may try before buying a new bottle of WetJet cleaner:

  • 1 part ammonia to 3 parts water

  • water, vinegar, a little biodegradable dishsoap, and some lemon juice.

  •  Murphy's and water solution for hardwood floors
I also found ideas for thrifty replacement of the cleaning pads....I'm never disappointed with Google's ability to find the most creative results!

  • "Always Over Nite pads work so well. I know it sounds funny, but they are excellent"

  • "Attach the "hook" side of a Velcro-type product in strips on the bottom of the Swiffer head. Then, purchase a piece of super absorbent cloth- reusable and washable solution"

  • "I just purchased a washable microfiber mop pad from Target in the floor care section with the Method products. The pad sticks onto the Velcro part of the Wet Jet mop and is washable (machine or by hand) up to "50" times and then reusable. The mop pad was $4.99 which seems a great price for reusing and good for the environment."
Sounds like alot of work to save a few bucks...but, I think I'll give one or two of these options a try and see how it works...Meanwhile, Emma is enjoying the novelty of it...and I'm ok with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment